Jul 26, 2013

(July 27th) - DECISION DAY

[Hmmm... I've never tried Blueberry.  But then, you can't go wrong with Strawberry.  S'mores seem way too complicated for me.  Mmmm... Cinnamon never gets old.  Wow, Peanut Butter, is that new?!]

These were my thoughts, and the struggle within my mind (I've had a few head injuries) over which flavor Pop-Tarts to begin the trail with as I stood in the breakfast aisle.  Last year we hiked from Harper's Ferry, West Virginia to Mt Washington, NH.  This August we hope to hike 330+ miles from Mt Washington, northward to Mt Katahdin, Maine.  We will begin Monday, July 29th and hope to finish by August 26th.

A few days before this Pop-Tart dilemma, I wasn't even sure I wanted to hike 330 miles this summer.  Last year we left for West Virginia just hours after school ended and arrived back home two months later, worn out, the day before the school year began.  A big part of me just wanted to relax at home all summer long...

Heather was encouraging (annoying) me to continue hiking this summer, especially since NH and ME are my favorite states on the trail.  In a brilliant move, she convinced me to at least go do some Trail Magic and hiking on Bear Mountain, NY.  Hiking up the mountain I felt myself break away from the stresses I'd been carrying.  My blood was pumping, legs churning, lungs breathing and I felt great!  By the time we got to the top, sat down on the warm, sun-baked stone, and looked out towards the rolling green mountains in the distance, I knew I wanted to continue this adventure in August.  Just as I had this breakthrough a 6 year old girl also reflected on her day's hike as she yelled back to her father: "Can't you hurry up!  This is the SECOND WORST day of my LIFE!!!"

~Daddy Long Legs

(Scroll down for pictures and blog entries from last summer!!!)


1 comment:

  1. Now, I'm curious how a six year old can have two worst days of that short life, and what was the worst?

    Have a great hike,
    EarthTone

    ReplyDelete